You have come to the right place if you want to connect your printer wirelessly to other devices by a WPS Pin. WPS pin is a unique code generated by your HP printer that protects your HP printer from unknown users. Thus, the WPS pin provides additional security, and your HP printer won’t get hacked.
Where is the WPS pin on my printer? The WPS pin is displayed on your HP printer’s LED screen. In addition, the unique WPS pin for printer is generated once that allows a secure connection with routers. Keep reading to find the steps to locate the WPS pin on HP printer.
What is a WPS pin on a printer?
WPS full form is ‘Wi-Fi Protected Setup’. So, in simple words, the WPS pin on a printer is a special 8 digit number code that provides a wireless connection with routers. WPS pin is safe and secure as it protects your printer from third-party users. Moreover, WPS allows the owner to block all unknown users trying to use their household Wi-Fi.
In addition, the WPS pin for HP printer allows wireless connection between 2 or more devices. It is also faster than a USB connection. Furthermore, you don’t need to remember your Wi-Fi password to connect to your compatible computer every time you want to print a document.
If you are tired of all the wires and USB connections, you can use a WPS pin code to print multiple documents wirelessly. All you have to do is enter the 8 digit code displayed on the printer’s LED screen into the Wi-Fi router settings, and you are good to go. But keep in mind that a WPS pin only works with a wireless router.
Where is the WPS pin on my printer?
The big question is, ‘where do I find the WPS pin on my printer?’. You can find the WPS Pin located on your HP Printer’s LED screen for a wireless connection. The WPS pin has nothing to do with your router. However, only the latest HP printers, HP Envy 4520, HP Officejet 4650, and HP LaserJet, have an LED screen.
Older HP printers like HP Deskjet 2600, and hp Deskjet 2652 do not have a LED screen. But don’t worry, as the older HP printers can also be connected to devices wirelessly. Scroll down to find how to use older HP printers wirelessly to print documents.
HP printer WPS connection types
There are two types of HP printer WPS connection according to the presence and absence of the LED screen. The two WPS connection types are;
WPS push button: The push-button is for the HP printers without a LED screen.
WPS Pin code: The unique 8 digit WPS pin can be used for the latest HP printers with a LED screen on top.
Connection of HP printer with a WPS pin
If you have the latest HP printer with an LED screen, follow the below-given steps to secure a wireless connection between two or more devices.
- Turn ‘on’ your HP printer. If it’s already on, then ‘restart’ your printer.
- Now open your printer’s ‘control panel’ and press the ‘wireless button’.
- The wireless blue light will start blinking once you press the ‘wireless button’.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and click on ‘Network Setup’.
- Select ‘Wireless setting’
- Find the ‘Wi-Fi Protected Setup’ option and select ‘WPS Pin’ after following the instructions on your screen.
- A WPS Pin will be generated on your printer’s LED screen. Now enter the WPS Pin Code on your computer to continue printing.
- Before entering the WPS Pin on your computer, you need to access the software for the wireless access point or wireless router.
- Go to ‘All Programs’ and open the ‘HP folder of Printer’ after the setup is completed. Then click on ‘Printer Setup and Software.
- Choose the ‘Connect a New Printer’ option to install the Network Printer Driver
Remember that if you fail to enter the WPS Pin within 8-10 seconds, you will have to generate a new WPS pin if the old one doesn’t work.
Another way to wirelessly connect your printer to other devices is by using a push-button. This method can be used by both the latest and older HP printers.
If your HP printer doesn’t have a LED screen, follow the below-given steps to establish a wireless connection via push button.
- Turn On your printer and press and hold the ‘Wireless’ button present on the display panel of your printer.
- You will observe that blue or green light will start blinking.
- Now go to your wireless router and look at its backside.
- You will find a WPS button on the back of the router; press and hold the WPS button for 3-4 seconds
- You will notice a WPS light will start blinking on the router.
- Wait for 2-3 minutes for both the printer’s and router’s lights to stop blinking.
- Congratulations, your HP printer has been wirelessly connected to your computer once the lights have stopped blinking.
- After installing the HP Printer Smart App on your mobile/laptop, you can begin with printing.
If your HP printer has a LED screen and you want to have a wireless connection with your computer via push button, then follow the steps below;
- Turn On your printer and go to the printer’s ‘control panel’. Now press the ‘Wireless’
- The blue light will start blinking. Find the ‘Wi-Fi Protected Setup’ and select ‘Push Button on the printer screen.’
- Now go to your wireless router and press the WPS button (present on the back of the router) for 3-4 seconds.
- The WPS light on the router will start blinking. Wait for 2-3 minutes for both the printer’s and router’s lights to stop blinking.
- Once the lights stop blinking, look at the printer’s screen. You will see ‘Connection Established’ on the screen.
- Finally, the printer is connected to a wireless network via a push button.
- After installing the printer smart app software on your mobile/laptop, you can start printing.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the WPS pin code?
The WPS pin is an eight-digit code that allows a wireless connection between two devices. Nowadays, this technology enables us to print too.
What is the WPS button?
The WPS button enables connection between two devices wirelessly. This button is present on most wireless devices.
Is WPS secure?
Yes, the WPS technology is better, faster, and more securer than the WPA or other technologies.
How many numbers are in the WPS pin?
The WPS pin is a unique eight-digit number code.
Where is the WPS pin located on my HP printer?
- Turn on your HP printer and press the ‘settings’ option present on the control panel.
- Now Click on Network Setup and choose Wireless settings.
- Press Wi-Fi Protected Setup and follow the instructions on the screen
- Click on the ‘WPS Pin’ option
- An 8-digit pin code will be displayed on your HP printer’s LED screen.
How to find WPS pin on HP printer?
- Press the wireless button on the printer control screen after turning on your printer.
- Now, go to the “Settings” icon and click on the Wi-Fi-protected setup.
- Select the “WPS pin’’
- An 8-digit pin code will be displayed on your printer’s screen.
Do all routers have a WPS button?
Yes, the WPS button is present on every wireless router.
Where is the WPS button on my phone?
Go to the WIFI settings. You will find the ‘WPS’ option there. Turn the WPS on or off from the settings via the WPS pin or push method.
By now, your big question, ‘what is a WPS pin, and where do I find it?’ must be answered. The WPS Pin for printer allows a secure and wireless connection between your computer and printer. So, you don’t have to worry about your system getting hacked. There are two ways to establish a wireless HP printer WPS connection. You can use either a WPS pin or a push-button if your printer has a LED screen. However, if your printer has no LED screen, use the push button to continue printing wirelessly.